Wednesday, December 09, 2009

The view from the couch...


Recovery is going well mostly due to  the super support that I am receiving from Jorge and all he is doing for me and because of everyones well wishes and concerns.  On top of that, I get to look all day at these beautiful flowers that my sister Alice sent to me, they are not only gorgeous, they are still looking healthy!  Thanks everyone for all your concern.  I would like to get up and get going a little quicker but learn that too much of putting the leg down causes pain, keeping the leg up is no pain. Easy solution. 
I am keeping busy by reading, thanks Alice for the Ken Follet recommendation, it is the second book I am reading.  Due to it's almost 1000 pages it will take me a while to finish. Jean, the book you gave me is next, I'm looking forward to reading it.
 I've spent an extraordinary amount of time reading and researching 'wedding' cakes since I will have the pleasure of baking the cake for Chick and Steve's wedding.  My favorite cake cook book is The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum, so I went right to that and read the whole section she has on baking cakes for 150 or more people.  She also has a websight: http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/ that has been a wealth of information, and I've already posted on the forum to get some support.  Chick and Steve will be able to have a little taste preview since I will bake a couple small sample cakes before we stop by on our way to Montana City.  There is a lot on the web so if anyone ever plans to bake a wedding cake, ask me, I can tell you aaaallllll about them.  Also check out the very funny blog: cakewrecks.blogspot.com, look through it and give yourself a hearty laugh.
I have also had the fun of begining the process of ordering the supplies to make Chick's veil.  After finding her dress (yeah Chick, she spent a little, but wow, did she get a stunner for her money), our conclusion was they charge way over the top for veils, and that I know I could make a nicer one.  I also do not like the cheap 'net' they use, so I've found some beautiful secret fabric that will be stunning!   I'll let everyone be surprised when they see her.  It has been a blast 'meeting' people all over he world who work in this field, and everyone is always so helpful and supportive.  I can't wait to have the items in my hand and begin the work on it. 

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the cake! My mother made the cake for our wedding and it was the best cake I've ever eaten! But I'm partial to her spice cake. She was thrilled when the caterer asked for the recipe though. We found it very useful to freeze the cakes beforehand, that way they were all done before the 'pre-wedding madness' set in and then all I had to do on the morning of was assemble and frost it. I was so touched that she made it for me; I wouldn't have had it any other way. :)

    Best of luck and I hope your recovery goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sonja. I was worried about 'freezing' it before hand, as the recipe I use is supposed to freeze well, but I think now I will. How lucky to have your Mom bake your wedding cake, a memory you will always treasure!

    ReplyDelete