Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Chouteau County Fair

Part of the fun of going to Fort Benton in the summer is either Summer Celebration or the County Fair.  I was there for the fair, and it didn't disappoint, well too much. It is much smaller than it used to be, but still has some charm left.
I didn't take any pictures, but there are some things that only words can describe. 
On Friday we were supposed to go to the 'Pig Wrestling' but received a phone call from Hardy that it had been cancelled.  It seems the wild pigs were missing.  Yep, when they went to get them, they were gone, you just cannot trust those wild pigs.  And if that wasn't funny enough, it made news all over the US, the AP put it out there and we even saw it in USA Today: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5huk_RqO_KIvq3AVJoksSekRZOmnwD9HOJNU00
The title says: "Pig wrestling cancelled after porkers elude capture."
I just cannot make this stuff up.

I also thought I'd share a few lines from the fair booklet that has the events and instructions for entries:
Listed as part of the events were:
-Bred Heifer Ultra Sounds
-Rabbit Show and Rabbit Interview Judging

Under the entries, here is part of the description for entering beer:
"Beers entered in the wrong class will not be judges.  Beers will be judged on aroma, appearance, in-mouth flavor, in-mouth body, drink ability and overall impression."

(Can beers be judges and drink?)

A list of 'classes' for crafts is stated as such, obviously not very politically pc:
Class 3-Indian Regalia
1. Item of clothing
2. headdress
3. Musical instrument (drum, flute, rattle, bells, etc.)
4. Any item not listed above,

Everything above, is copied exactly as it is in the book.  There were many other mistakes, but these were the funniest. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice... I think my favorite might be "rabbit interview" hahahhahahaha :)

    -- linds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linds, I believe you are right. I'm sure they have the most interesting stories, and I get this visual in my mind of the seating for the Heifer ultrasounds, sparsley filled, and heads all nodding off to the side, sounds of snoring...

    ReplyDelete