Sunday, January 24, 2010

"Let Them Eat Cake."

Here is a practice 9" cake of the upcoming wedding cake.  It is the "Golden Dream Wedding Cake" from my new Roses Heavenly Cake book.  The height of each layer was 1.75" when finished baking, so this cake was 4" tall when frosted and stacked.  It took me two days to eat one piece, as 4" high is a lot of cake.  It tasted yummy, and was extremely moist.  I will add lemon curd as the filling on the cake I bring for Chick and Steve to taste when I visit in February.  My other cakes I will bring are: either a Chocolate Passion Cake, an all chocolate cake - or Grand Marnier Cake, a yellow chocolate chip cake with a Grand Marnier syrup and a Chocolate Grand Marnier frosting;  plus a Yellow Cake with Grand Marnier Mousseline Buttercream and a raspberry filling.  This is a white frosting, and very, very light.  It is a merengue with the butter whipped in and then the Grand Marnier (or liqour of your choice) put in at the end. You do not taste the liqour, it just adds a nice hint of flavor you can barely distinquish. 
In this lemon cake I used cake flour instead of the bleached flour Rose calls for, and she says cake flour will cause the cake to be very tender. This proved to be true, so I will use the bleach flour in the future cakes as much as I like a tender cake, for cutting puposes, a little more stable is better. 
I promise to practice my decorating skills.  The flower at the center looks like bird poop.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful cake! I think the final decorated version looks stunning. And tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sonja. My swiss dots look more like points, but hey, its the thought that counts. It did taste good, and the VA where I brought most of the cake said it was great and they hope I bring samples of the others I practice.

    ReplyDelete