Thursday, March 06, 2008

Quilt of Valor





Here is my latest Quilt of Valor. It goes to the son of a friend, I am not sure he needs a QOV, since I don't know of any injuries, including PTSD, but after four deployments with an infrantry marine unit, I think he has earned something. It is a "Blackford's Beauty" block, from a pattern on quiltville.com. Blackford's Beauty was named after a river crossing near Sharpsburg, MD, whichs was used by the Confederate army of Northern Virginia just before the battle of Antietem. The closeups are of the quilting: a metallic eagle, the marine symbol (eagle/globe/anchor), and wrote in the sashing: Untied States Marine Corps, David G---, American Hero. I stitched in the ditch around each star, and then used McTavishing type quilting for the white areas. All in all I think it achieved the look I wanted.

Oh, this quilt is a surprise to this Marine and his parents, I'll post some of her response when I get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment