Sunday, July 01, 2007

Quilt Design Camp

I just returned from a week in Chicago, (the suburb of Oak Park), where I attended 'Quilt Design Camp.' I didn't have any idea on what or how we would be learning, so I was able to keep my mind open to the 'process' that Weeks Ringle and her husband Bill Kerr(http://www.funquilts.com/) would be guiding us to explore. Amazing, is the one word that comes to mind when I try and sum up what I learned. They covered many topics including, but not limited to: color, movement, dimension, shapes, balance, the willingness to explore and visualize all that is around you, and how to take your ideas and even 'feelings' and put it in a quilt using these other topics. The sky is the limit on where you can get ideas from, and for Tammy's sake, stars were optional. Sorry, I had to add an inside joke.

For me, my desire was to get away from the 'quilt police' and create, without worry, what I want, not only what other designers or quilters teach. I learned the quilt police were only in my mind and anyone who had their own ideas, it was just that, someone elses ideas, not mine. Mission accomplished.

The only pictures I have are of some of our 'explorations' in small projects, so I will not post them because you would have to know the class to get the project.

Bill and Weeks, two wonderful people who are all about making the earth a little better, and sharing their gifts with others. They also like to show people what is so great about Chicago and for us, they treated all of the class and a few extra guests to dinner the last night at this amazing Asian restaurant. Sorry, I forgot the name, but it was downtown in an area that has been renovated, and has a sister restaurant in China Town. I thank their six year old for recommending the 'triple berry' fruit icey with tapioca balls, I have never had so much fun with a fruit drink. Definitely a bonus.

I came home all enthused, and although I have my 'big design' I will work on that began at Quilt Camp, I came up with a new quilt I will be making for a wedding present. So I better go quilting....

No comments:

Post a Comment